March 2, 1904, was Dr. Seuss’s birthday! In lieu of this day, I encourage you all to have some fun with it! Whether you go see the Lorax at the movie theater or have a Dr. Seuss themed party, Seuss’s birthday is an opportunity to have some colorful, crazy fun!
Horton Hears a Who, Horton Hatches the Egg, Hop on Pop, The Lorax, Oh the Places You’ll Go! and so many more are great books to base your theme off of. Have some friends over, or host a party for your little ones. Whether you host the party for adults, kids, or even just yourself; here are some great ideas to celebrate with!
To start, no Seuss party is complete without green eggs and ham as an appetizer. Photo of Green Eggs & Ham on the “And Everything’s Sweet” blog, and the recipe itself from 100daysofrealfood.com.
- 6 eggs, pastured and/or organic eggs recommended
- 1 tablespoon milk, whole milk recommended
- 2 tablespoons onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh kale or spinach leaves, washed with big stems removed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Butter for frying, organic and/or grass-fed butter recommended
- Optional sides: organic ham and homemade whole-wheat biscuits
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a blender (including the S&P) and blend until the greens are pureed into little bits.
- Heat a big pat of butter (don’t be stingy!) in a frying pan over medium
- Once the butter has melted pour the egg mixture into the warm pan. Let it sit for a couple minutes before you begin to stir and scramble with a spatula. Cook until eggs are done all the way through.
- Serve warm with ham and biscuits.
Try making your very own Thing 1 and Thing 2 outfits. Start by either buying a blue wig, or making one with some fabric from the store. Joann Fabrics or Walmart might be a good place to start. Then use a simple red long-sleeved shirt and red pants for the main outfit.
Cut out some white fabric into an oval shape, and with a Sharpie marker, write “Thing 1″ and “Thing 2″ on both of them. Then, you can either sew or hot glue the circular white fabric onto the middle of the red shirts. Then all you need is someone to be the Cat in the Hat! Cat in the Hat hats are easily found online or at a costume store.
Great idea for a Cat in the Hat party. A red and white layer cake and cupcakes, combined with colorful balloons, and anything funky would work!